Carbon Credits Help Transform Mumbai Landfill into Profitable Green Space
Find out how carbon credit financing helped turn a dump site in Mumbai, India into a green landscape.
From a dump site to a beautiful green space: Asian Development Bank's Asia Pacific Carbon Fund helped transform Mumbai's Gorai garbage site into an award-winning sustainable area.
- 2007: Launch of the Gorai Landfill Closure and Gas Capture Project
- 2009: Inauguration of the great green 19 hectare park
- 2010: Completion of project construction
- 2030: Estimated project end of operations
- Rs503 million ($9.31 million): Total project cost
- Rs245 million (56%): Carbon financing
- Implementing agency
- Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai: Principal implementor
- Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services: Technical adviser
India, Energy, Environment
Last updated: August 2016
The views expressed in these articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Asian Development Bank, its management, its Board of Directors, or its members.